Not only are the greats of marathon swimming ranked, but also everyone who has successfully completed one of the world's 30 major marathon swims, from the English Channel to the Manhattan Island Marathon Swim, from the Cook Strait to the Strait of Gibraltar, from Lake Ontario to the Rottnest Channel. Slow and fast. Young and old. World-class and fitness. Swimmers of all backgrounds can see where they rank. From Captain Matthew Webb to Lynne Cox, from Gertrude Ederle to Petar Stoychev, 133 years of marathon swimming history is compiled in this innovative look at the sport.
This proprietary ranking system takes into account the swimmer's age, distance of the swim, average water temperature, currents and the official time of each swim to rank the athletes. The World Swimming Majors Database generates buzz. It compares between swimmers across generations. It celebrates the fortitude, the dedication, the passion and the talents of marathon swimmers of all ages and abilities -- not only the fastest and the elite, but also the slow and steady.
The World Swimming Majors includes the most famous and most popular marathon swims around the world...
Become an Open Water Source member today at www.openwatersource.com and see where you rank in the World Swimming Majors database.
1. The Boston Light Swim (in Boston, U.S.A.)
2. The Cadiz Freedom Swim (in Cape Town, South Africa)
3. The Catalina Channel (in California, U.S.A.)
4. The Clean Half Marathon Swim (in Hong Kong)
5. The Cook Strait (in New Zealand)
6. The Ederle Swim (between New York and New Jersey, U.S.A.)
7. The English Channel (between England and France) 8. The Jarak -- Šabac Marathon Swim (in Serbia)
9. The Faros Marathon Swim (in Croatia)
10. The Ijsselmeerzwemmarathon (in The Netherlands)
11. The International Self-Transcendence Marathon Swim (in Lake Zurich, Switzerland)
12. The Round Jersey Solo Circumnavigation (around the Island of Jersey)
13. The Jersey-to-France Channel
14. The Kalamata-to-Koroni Marathon (in the Messiniakos Gulf, Greece)
15. Lake Ontario (in Canada)
16. Lake Tahoe in California
17. The Manhattan Island Marathon Swim (around New York, U.S.A.)
18. The Maui Channel (in Hawaii, U.S.A.)
19. The Molokai Channel (in Hawaii, U.S.A.)
20. The North Channel between Ireland and Scotland
21. The Pennock Island Challenge (in Alaska, U.S.A.)
22. The Rottnest Channel Swim (in Western Australia)
23. The Santa Barbara Channel (in California, U.S.A.)
24. The Strait of Gibraltar (between Spain and Morocco) 25. The Swim Across The Sound (between Connecticut and New York, U.S.A.)
26. Swim Around Key West (Florida, U.S.A. (12.5 miles)
27. Tampa Bay Marathon Swim (Florida, U.S.A. (24 miles))
28. Traversee Internationale du lac St-Jean (Quebec, Canada (20 miles))
29. The Tsugaru Channel (in Japan)
30. The World 25K Championships (around the world)